“I believe in my mask — The man I made up is me.” Sam Shepard
— ‘Crow’s Song’, Tooth of Crime
“I had a sense that a voice existed that needed expression,” Shepard said of his early plays.
Photograph by Brigitte Lacombe
‘He was the kindest man, truthful, witty and generous’
(The Right Stuff)
From Philip Kaufman, Sam was half jackrabbit and best chili maker
Sam was half jackrabbit, and I could rely on that sense of Sam the writer. It seems to me that his plays all sprang fully out of Sam’s character. He wasn’t writing about something he didn’t know much about. The tale was always some ghost that he was searching for. That ghost was always hovering, so he was very productive.
Sam Shepard on Days of Heaven (youtube)
Sam Shepard (Nov 5, 1943 – July 30, 2017)
It is with great sadness today that we learned of the passing of the great American playwright, Sam Shepard. Sam did much of his early work at La MaMa.
Full film – with John Malkovich& Gary Sinise-
1. Name the film in which he co-stars with Penelope Cruz.
2. In what film is he killed in a car bombing?
3. What TV film earned him an Emmy nomination?
4. Which of his films featured the music suite “The Carnival of the Animals” by French composer Saint-Saens?
5. In what film is he bitten by a badger?
6. Name the film in which he says – “Anybody that goes up in the damn thing is gonna be Spam in a can”.
7. In what film does he visit the Louvre?
8. Which film did he star in that was previously a Shepard play?
9. In what film does he play Dad to seven sons?
10. Name the film in which he plays a veterinarian.
11. In what film does he ride a motorcycle?
12. In “Brothers” he plays a Vietnam vet. Name the film in which he plays a very disturbing and dangerous Vietnam vet.
13. Spud is his character’s name. Can you name the film?
14. Name the film based on a Beth Henley play.
15. In real life we know he’s a playwright, but in what film does he play a writer of hard-boiled detective stories?
16. Name the film that was based on a biography called “Shadowlands” by William Arnold.
17. Name in the film in which Eva Marie Saint plays his mother.
18. In what film is his character a train robber?
19. He directed Sean Penn in one of his plays but can you name the film in which Sean Penn directed him?
20. Name the film that tells a true 1993 war story in Somalia.